Poultry feed additives in detail
In a survey it was reported that manufacturers use approximately 80% of food additives over poultry. This is to enhance the poultry microbiomes and to discourage the bacterial growth in the poultry. There are certain poultry feed additives that are added in the diet of poultry.
- First come enzymes. The enzymes involved are phytases and Non-starch polysaccharide and these are degrading enzymes helpful for gut issues. Both enzymes are helpful in slow stomach digestion. This way there is great tendency for water retention and improve nutrient uptake as well. Other enzymes found are proteases and carbohydrates.
- Next are antioxidants. Vitamin E , ascorbic acid and selenium are commonly used as antioxidants. These are highly useful for bird health. The yeast based selenium is recommended for bone mineralization and density.
- Third is a mycotoxin binder. Many a time mycotoxin binders are useful for protecting against other dangerous mycotoxins. During the rainy season the cereal bins become polluted or wet and hence the need for mycotoxins becomes important. Ph control agents are also present in additives. We need ph controllers to lower down the gut ph and break down the pathogens that are not good for the gut. Therefore, use protected ph agents for lowering ph in the gut.
- Next come prebiotics. These are useful for the growth of bacteria that are needed for production of the poultry egg. Prebiotics are safe to be used and are highly recommended.
- Probiotics are also recommended. To create a benign population of birds these are best to be used. These are best throughout a bird’s life as well. All these additives are highly recommended as these increase the growth and raise the number of poultry on the field. Additives are being used worldwide. There is no doubt and no danger in using these.